The internet is a great place to find freelance writing jobs, but it can also be tough to figure out where to start. There are so many different websites that offer writing opportunities and they all have their own guidelines and requirements, making it hard to know what you need to do in order to win one of their auctions or get your pitch accepted by an editor. In this post we’ll take a look at 30 websites offering paid writing opportunities so that you can decide which ones are best for your needs!
9 Website to Get Paid to Write Articles
- The Daily Star
- Space & Cosmos
- Outdoor Photography Magazine
- Nature Conservancy Magazine
- Entomology Today
- Backpacker Magazine
- Rethinking Schools magazine
- The Good Men Project magazine
Get Paid to Write Online is an article on Wonder How To that lists a few websites you can use to get paid writing online.
These are the websites that I have tried and can recommend:
- iWriter (iWriter is a very well-known site for writing articles, but it’s not easy to get accepted as a writer. To be accepted, you must write three articles before you can apply to be paid.)
- Textbroker (Textbroker is one of the most famous websites for freelance writers; however, it’s hard to get approved as a writer because there are so many people applying.)
- Freelancer (Freelancer has been in business since 2009 and they continue to grow each year! They pay their writers weekly via PayPal or Skrill which makes paying bills online very easy.)
The Daily Star
is looking for freelance writers to write national news, entertainment, and sports stories.
The Daily Star is looking for freelance writers to write national news, entertainment, and sports stories. The Daily Star pays $0.07 per word and accepts a variety of topics as long as they fit their brand guidelines.
The Daily Star has a strict policy on plagiarism: “If you are caught plagiarizing we will publish your name in our employment blacklist.”
Space & Cosmos
is always looking for articles about space, the solar system, earth science, space exploration, and more.
The Space & Cosmos website is always looking for articles about space, the solar system, earth science, space exploration and more. You can expect to earn $100 per article.
Payment will be made via PayPal within 7 days of publication on their site.
You can submit your article by emailing [email protected] with the title and body of your article attached in a Word document format only. Make sure you include your name, address and contact information (phone number) in case they need to get back with you during the review process if they have any questions about your piece or just want to make sure everything looks good as far as spelling etc., goes!
To help get your creative juices flowing, check out their submission guidelines here: http://www.spaceandcosmosmagazine.com/submission-guidelines/
Outdoor Photography Magazine
is looking for freelance writers to write about outdoor photography.
Outdoor Photography Magazine is looking for freelance writers to write about outdoor photography. The pay is $0.30 per word and they’re looking for articles on landscape, travel, adventure and wildlife photography.
If you want to submit your photos they accept submissions via their website with a section where you can submit your images by emailing the photos in JPG format at 300 dpi resolution.
Nature Conservancy Magazine
writes about nature and travel, but also about sustainability as well as some politics.
- Payment: The Nature Conservancy Magazine pays $450 for a 1,000-word article.
- Topic ideas: The magazine’s topics include nature and travel, but also sustainability as well as some politics. If you’ve got a good idea for an article that fits within those bounds, feel free to pitch it! One editor notes, “We are always open to new ideas. We welcome pitches from freelance writers.”
- How to pitch an article idea: You can email the editor at [email protected], or you can use their online form here.
- How to write an article: The magazine notes in its guidelines that they want your submission “to be original, short (1–1½ pages), factually accurate and interesting.” They also ask that you include three photos with each story; one should be included as part of the first paragraph so they know what they’re getting into before reading further into your piece. If you have any questions about photo requirements or other aspects of writing policy while trying out different pitches, please email [email protected].
publishes science articles about entomology (the study of insects). They pay $50 per article published!
Entomology Today is a peer-reviewed scientific journal that publishes articles about insects, other arthropods, and their ecology. They pay $50 per article published!
In addition to publishing your article in the journal itself, they also have a blog where you can submit short articles or blurbs on any subject related to entomology (such as “The best way to catch crickets”).
wants outdoor-oriented submissions from their freelance writers.
Backpacker Magazine is looking for freelancers to write articles on a variety of topics, including hiking, backpacking, camping and general outdoor recreation. They’re looking for freelancers to write 1000-to-2200 word articles that are original to their site and not previously published elsewhere.
that lists several other websites offering this opportunity.
The Ultimate Guide to Getting Paid to Write Anything is an article on the website Back2College that lists several other websites offering this opportunity:
- College Buzz – $0.15 per word (minimum of 300 words) or $150 per article, whichever comes first. Pay is made through PayPal after every two weeks.
- Writers Weekly – $25-40 per article depending on category and length of work, paid through PayPal once a month for all work completed during that period. The site also features a job board where you can find freelance writing gigs with companies looking for writers like yourself!
- Payscale – All submissions must be at least 400 words; payments are made via PayPal within 45 days after approval of your submission by the editor-in-chief.*
Rethinking Schools magazine
is a quarterly publication dedicated to education topics. They are not just looking for articles though; they are also looking for puzzles and games that are education themed.
Rethinking Schools magazine is a quarterly publication dedicated to education topics. They are not just looking for articles though; they are also looking for puzzles and games that are education themed.
They pay $50 per puzzle, but if your puzzle gets chosen as a cover image it will earn you an additional $200 bonus. Submissions should be sent to [email protected]
The Good Men Project magazine
covers a variety of topics here, such as health and fitness, relationships, travel, money, family life and careers.
The Good Men Project is a men’s lifestyle website that covers a variety of topics, including health and fitness, relationships, travel and more. They are looking for freelance writers to cover stories in their areas of expertise.
- Payment: $300 per article (approximately 4-5 pages).
I’m Noman, and I’m a Digital Marketing and SEO expert. I have a background in Website Optimisation, Digital Marketing, content writing, and I love to write.. If you need someone to help boost your online presence or just need someone to write some content for your blog, let me know!